Floatation REST, otherwise referred to as Floating, was developed in America and is for many Europeans a fairly new concept. Floating is relaxing on a bed of salt water in an atmosphere of total calm and warmth. Floating can be used for several reasons such as a means to total relaxation, a tool within a medical therapeutic program, as well as preventive reasons such as against stress, sport injuries etc. But what does Floating mean exactly, how was it developed and who uses the float tanks?
What is Floatation REST?
Floatation R.E.S.T. (Restricted Environmental Stimulation Therapy/ Technique) is floating on top of a 25cm deep pool of salt water in an especially designed tank. The tank resembles a large enclosed bathtub. Usually constructed from fibreglass and is built so as to eliminate all outside distractions such as sight, sound, tactile sensations, and gravity. A large amount of Epsom salt is added to the water to create optimal buoyancy. The water is warmed to a temperature of 35.5 centigrade. All these elements help create an atmosphere in which one can achieve a profound feeling of relaxation and well-being.
Who uses the Floatation Tanks?
For several years the tanks were solely used by researchers in university laboratories or by private individuals. In 1983 however, Floating increased in popularity as more became known about Floating and its effects. Today, floatation tanks can be found in health spas, beauty farms, bio-fitness institutes, hospitals, fitness centres, professional sports clubs, and big companies and are used for “super-learning” courses by some American Universities. Floatation REST can be used for many different reasons. For this reason, the floatation tank can be of use to many different types of people and institutes.
The effects of Floating
Following is a short list of some of the effects which have been reported by researchers and/or users:
- Promotes total calm, peaceful relaxation, eliminates fatigue and jet lag; improves sleep; alleviates stress- mental and physical; energises, rejuvenates and revitalises.
- Stimulates left/right brain synchronisation; shifts brain waves from Beta to lower frequency Alpha, Theta and even Delta.; creates mental clarity, alertness; increases creativity, problem solving; heightens visualisation; deepens meditation; expands awareness, intensifies acuteness of all the senses, accelerates learning.
- Enhances hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis; increases motivation, diminishes depression, anxiety and fear; facilitates freedom from habits, phobias and addictions.
- Improves athletic performance and helps prevent sports injuries, speeds healing process.
- Decreases the production of Cortisol, ACTH, Lactic Acid and Adrenaline; Increases production of endorphins; quickens rehabilitation and recovery; relieves pain- arthritis, migraines, injuries etc.; boosts immune function.
- Improves circulation and distribution of oxygen and nutrients; reduces blood pressure, pulse, heart rate and oxygen consumption.